After my presentation on Wednesday and the feedback regarding the way in which my images are going to be presented in the exhibition I needed to look in to the sizing and display of my images. I printed all my images on A4 paper ( 8 images per A4 paper) and tried to play around with how my images would look so small on the wall and how much space I was allowed to have.
After a few hours (and some help with the maths) I realized that the measurements and calculations were wrong!! But this kind of helped with the progression of how much space I am giving myself and how I am going to set my images upon the wall.
I have in total around 130 images (not all need to be used) and have been thinking what the best way to show them all would be. My initial idea was to have them in a square shape on the wall but after further thoughts I felt that this wouldn’t work as people would potentially be having to look high and bend down to see certain images. This then lead on to the idea of having the images displayed in a long rectangle, this would enable the images to be at a constant head height as well as a long width.
I was looking back through my collection of images from this project and decided to play around with the hue & saturation, and look at my images look in black & white. I chose to do this because of the images I took of Joe in college were in black & white and thought about continuing in this style so that my old and new images work together and it would allow me to see whether this style works best for future reference.
I found that some images worked well with the black & white theme and looked good alongside my old images of Joe but on the other hand I found a lot of the images became really flat and just didn’t look as good as the images in colour. Therefore I have decided to stick with the original colour images but at least I know for future reference that black & white images work well to a certain aspect and in certain images.
I must admit my one main reason why I preferred the images in colour was because of the fact that Joe has ginger hair, I think the colour of his hair is really strong and prominent within my images which pushes the personal concept of my images even further.
My main feedback was to think further about the way in which I want my FMP to be exhibited. My first idea was the have either 6/8 images simply pinned to the wall, I liked this idea because I didn’t want my images in frames as I thought they might look like the belong on a mantle piece at a home. After I said this, white frames were suggested because they would look a lot more contemporary, this is something that I am going to consider and think about.
Another option I was given was to print quite a lot of small images so that I drew the audience in to my work and made them come and look closer. I really liked this idea as I found it would work well with the intimacy aspect of my work and also my previous images that I shot of Joe when I was in college were printed small and I found that they worked really well. I do feel like this would work as I am currently struggling to get my images down to 6/8 images so it would be good as I get to use the majority of images that I have shot.
(those are only rough drawing plans, I was just having a play around)
I need to think a lot more about how I want my FMP to look in the exhibition, I’ve decided to print my images, cheaply, and to put them up on a wall and look at which direction works best for my images.
Joe stole one of my cameras the other week and decided to take some of his own pictures. I really like the idea of having these images that he has produced himself because they are all from his point of view and show how he lives through his eyes. I find it ironic that he is the main interest in my images and yet I barely appear in any of his images, this is obviously due to the fact that I’m away at uni during the week so he is unable to show me present in the images.
I’m a little worried that he’s only 8 and better at taking photos…..